Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Internet Librarian Pre Conference Day 1

I am attending the Internet Librarian Conference 2009 in Monterey, CA. This is my first conference as a new librarian! I arrived on Friday and walked to the Monterey Public Library to get my new library card. It’s a very comfortable library with a woodsy cabin feeling. I was impressed with all the teens that were hanging out in the library interacting with their friends and reading. Just about every day they have anywhere from 100-200 students using the library! The warm open atmosphere had a real welcoming feeling. Their mini gift shop even provided me with a shoppertunity to buy a beautiful silk type scarf with books on it.

Day 1 of the Pre Conference was spent at the Library Camp at Monterey Public Library. This is truly becoming an international event since I met librarians from as far away as Nigeria and South Africa. Today’s topics included Training Library Staff on Technology- the challenge of keeping up and Open Source Software on public access computers. Participants shared and interacted with others on what worked or didn’t in all types of libraries.

3 comments: